Paper & Pulp_Head of R&D
Our client is a leading provider of renewable solutions in packaging, biomaterials, wooden constructions and paper on global markets.
Position: Head of R&D
Location: Beihai, Guangxi Province
Report to: Head of Operation
- Lead, manage and develop our client’s Guangxi Forestry’s R&D. Major areas of R&D responsibility will be in the following areas: breeding, silviculture practices, pest and disease control and tissue culture and nursery practices to support and continuously improve Silvicultural operations and maximise the productivity and value of the plantation estate.
- Breeding: SEGX initiated a state-of-the-art breeding program in partnership with Plant Plan Genetics (an Australian consultancy) in 2016. The breeding program employs modern breeding strategies, advanced trial design and data analyses. The program involves hybridization between several species, and ca 10.000 seedlings from CP crossings enters the program annually. There is a need to further optimize the different steps in the program, ;i.e grafting, crossing, measurements, data handling etc. A long-term target is to introduce molecular selection tools to increase speed and precision of breeding.
- Silviculture practices: SEGX has recently entered a collaboration with Fractal Forest (South African consultancy) to introduce site specific silviculture management on the estate. A major task will be to improve current practices of e.g fertilization, spacing, weeding, clone deployment according to the production potential of sites (e.g. soils, climate, topography).
- Pest and disease control: Pest and disease is becoming an increasing problem at SEGX, and its control have the highest priority. Immediate issues will be to improve SEGX Forestry Pest & Disease strategy, including monitoring and control systems. Together with chosen consultancy SEGX also wish to develop a test bed for selecting disease resistant clones.
- Tissue culture and nursery practices: SEGX propagate their clonal material using tissue culture and runs a nursery with a capacity of ca 15 M seedlings per year. R&D work is needed for clone adapted TC propagation and for optimizing growth conditions in nursery in order to produce vital seedlings for planting.
- Work in close cooperation with the Silvicultural Department, including field operations, production nursery and production tissue culture), as well as with technical matter experts including HQ staff and consultants.
- Improve and maintain the R&D trial database to world’s best practice.
- Responsible for R&D budget and resource planning.
- Train and develop the R&D team competencies.
- Maintain and further develop collaborations with academy, institutes, forest farms and consultants in R&D issues as necessary.
Bachelor, MSc or doctor degree education in forestry or agriculture
Strong communication skills in English both verbally and written (some Mandarin is preferred)
- More than 10 years working experience in forestry operations and/or operational forest R&D.
- A solid knowledge and expertise in tree breeding (eucalypt tree breeding preferred), experimental design and data analysis and a good understanding of abiotic and biotic impact on tree growth and productivity.
- Good leadership, capability to motivate and to develop the team’s competencies and professionalism.
- Analytical mindset and ability to drive for improvement and change.
- Ability to network and collaborate well with the internal organization as well as external stakeholders.
- Ability to drive development and implementation of systematic processes .
- Customer focused. Listen and meet with the needs of operations as well as senior executives.
- Proactive individual with a positive and resilient personality.
- Proven ability to adapt to challenging environments.
- Human focus with great cross-cultural awareness.
- Performance oriented and ability to always deliver against set targets and deadlines.